Thursday, November 1, 2012

Life Is Good...

This entry is dedicated to the memory of Trav's wonderful Uncle Bruce Finlayson. 
Uncle Bruce and Aunt Carol were among the first of the extended family I had the great pleasure of meeting nearly 10 years ago. The first summer that Travis and I were dating, I spent the 4th of July with them and the rest of the Fin crew at Dad F.'s company picnic. There, they taught me to play bocce ball! A game Travis and I love to play with friends today! We even have our own set now! From the first time I met Uncle Bruce, he was always filling the room with laughter and fun! He wasn't a loud jokester though. It was his quiet one liners and his jokes on the side that always got everyone roaring. It was evident that he was a such a happy person.
Bruce was my father in law's oldest brother. They had such a fun relationship. I think one of the things I enjoyed most when we got together was watching the way Dad Fin and Bruce would interact! They were always goofing around, busting each other's chops and just having a good time. It was clear that they had such a special bond. 
Travis loved talking to his Uncle Bruce...when they weren't joking around with each other, they loved to chat about finances and the stock market. Uncle Bruce always lent Travis advice on the subject.
We also had the great honor of having Uncle Bruce as our MC for our wedding reception! As expected, he was prepared with his one liners and funny introductions! He helped to make our day so very special and one of a kind! 
Bruce battled with cancer over last few years of his life. And I must say, the way he handled his illness was truly remarkable. He handled it with such grace and acceptance, and he never stopped being Bruce. He continued to live, love and laugh. He never crumbled. He never gave up on the life he had left and he always focused on what really mattered...family and friends.
As anyone reading this surely knows, my Mom was diagnosed with ovarian cancer earlier this year. And with everything going on in Bruce's life, with everything he was dealing with, he still took the time to reach out to my Mom. He was an incredibly giving, thoughtful and selfless man. I know that he has served as an inspiration to my parents.  And for that I am personally so grateful to Uncle Bruce. 
Bruce has left us with some pretty valuable life lessons. Lessons that I hope Travis and I can implement in our own lives and pass on to our children. The importance of family and the priority it played in his life was so clear. He didn't seem to sweat the small stuff and he lived his life fully and with joy! He lived his life without regrets, something I wish for all of the ones I love. 
I included the photo above because over the years I have heard countless stories from the Finlayson clan about all of their time spent at Bruce and Carol's cottage in the summers. The memories that Travis has from those times are precious to him and ones that he will carry with him forever. 
A week before Uncle Bruce passed on, he sent out a mass email to his family and friends. In the email he stated that he was running out of gas and ready to go. He sang the praises of his loving wife, wonderful daughters, their husbands and his four grandchildren. He let everyone know that he was ok. It was an incredible letter to read. And the very last statement of his last email was "life is good." I couldn't agree more, Uncle Bruce. And my life is better for having had you in it. 

2 comments:

Momma said...

Brooke - this is a wonderful entry!

Travis said...

Thank you so much for the tribute Brooke. I loved Uncle Bruce very much and literally have no bad memories of our time together. He was and will continue to be an inspiration to me. He will truly be missed, but not forgotten. And of course he was right; life IS good!